Dozens of things can go wrong with your air conditioning system, but there are five common problems which you should be aware of. If you encounter any of them, call us at Cool Comfort Heating & Air to discuss your options regarding repair or replacement.
- Faulty Wiring: Whether the wiring was improperly installed or it is simply old, it can be dangerous and lead to continual issues with your system. One of the most common indicators of faulty wiring is a frequently tripping circuit breaker when there’s no apparent cause.
- Broken Fan: The exterior fan is responsible for moving heat from the inside of your home to the outside. If it’s broken or not running at full strength, heat transfer cannot occur, and the compressor will overheat. This could cause major damage to the AC unit over time.
- Refrigerant Is Low: The chemical Freon is what cools the air that’s pumped through an air conditioner. If your air conditioning system is running but it doesn’t feel as though your home is cooling down, it could be a refrigerant issue. If the level of Freon is low, there’s probably a leak that needs to be found and repaired.
- Frozen Coil Indoors: This is a problem that can be caused or exacerbated by a dirty or old filter. When a return is blocked or the filter is clogged, the coils don’t receive enough airflow around them, resulting in a freeze-up.
- AC Not Working: The outdoor compressor can malfunction and cause problems. Typical issues affecting this part of the air conditioning system include a faulty thermostat, dirty contacts or lack of power.