If your furnace or heating & air system has just died, you’ve got some tough and quick decisions. Take a deep breath and don’t rush into an uninformed choice regarding heater replacement, and take care to avoid the following 5 common pitfalls made by buyers.
- Ignoring the SEER (seasonal energy efficiency ratio) rating. The more efficient the system, the less money you’ll spend every month on heating your home. In comparison to an old unit, a high-efficiency unit can cut your energy bills by 50%, while also providing increased comfort.
- Only getting one estimate. Options and prices for heater replacement vary, as do permits, installation costs and service contracts. Shop around and compare apples with apples.
- Accepting the cheapest price. The lowest price doesn’t necessarily translate to the best value. A high-efficiency unit might cost $800 more, but it could save you $300 in energy costs every year, paying for itself in less than 3 years.
- Overlooking a maintenance contract. To keep your system working optimally throughout its life, maintenance is necessary. A contract can not only help avoid preventable and expensive repairs in the future, but also extend the life of the system.
- Missing rebate opportunities. Many manufacturers and states offer rebates to help homeowners offset some of the cost of heater replacement, especially those that are high-efficiency. To learn more, visit www.dsireusa.org or talk to one of our contractors.
At Cool Comfort Heating & Air, we provide residents in the Lake Norman area with installation, repair, service and replacement of all brands of HVAC systems. Clients love our 24/7 emergency service and our extended warranties. Please contact us today for more information or to schedule an appointment.